2011年10月2日 星期日

Wineshark weekly - 2 October 2011

We have the first typhoon no. 8 in HK this week. And my curse continues. Ever since I joined my current company there is a track record that whenever HK has a 'holiday' because of typhoon I was out of town. This week was no exception. I was in Korea then and had to change to an earlier flight in order to avoid delay coming back home, but when landing I experienced one of the most scary landing, rather like a roller coaster in certain instances. No wonder upon successful landing many people clapped their hands...

On Friday night I went to the fairwell party for my boss, who will be leaving the company next week. I helped to pick the restaurant (Fofo in Wellington Street) to enjoy some cozy atmosphere and good Spanish food. Everyone enjoyed very much. For wines, I chose an Albarino from Rias Baixas - Pazo de Senorans and a Tempranillo from Rioja - Muga Reserva. Both are very good match with the food and not expensive. A recommendation if you want to try a typical Spanish wine.


I made two dishes at home over the weekend: a Potato and Sausage Salad and a Fish Steak with Pepperonata. Detailed recipe can be found in my blog. Both are quite easy to make but some attention to details are needed for the salad. For the fish, the trick is to grill it properly on pan. Overall still something easily managed by a beginner. I opened a bottle of Pouilly-Fume from Pascal Jolivet to accompany the dishes. The wine is a good match with the fish, with the pepperonata enhancing the intensity and flavors of the wine. My wife, who normally doesn't drink, told me she found the wine more pronounced and 'sweeter'.

Wine: Pascal Jolivet Pouilly-Fume
Region / Country: Pouilly-Fume France
Vintage: 2006
Grape: 100% Sauvignon Blanc
ABV: 12.5%                 
Price: HK$290
Tasting Date: 1 October 2011
Wineshark Score: 90

Light lemon colour with an intense and developing nose of honeysuckle, honey, gooseberry, grass, peach, butter and tropical fruit. Slightly lower in acidity and with a light body, the wine has medium intensity flavors of gooseberry, peach, grass, honeysuckle, butter, honey, smoke and steely. Overall of good quality, this Pouilly-Fume has a strong intense nose showing complex characters and a reasonable palate of well-balanced fruitiness. The palate is of reasonable intensity and complexity, with a reasonable length. The wine will pair well with fish steak in pepperonata. Ready to drink now and not intend for further ageing.

Really falling behind on my wine study, need to catch up. See you next week!

沒有留言:

張貼留言