2012年3月10日 星期六

Wineshark weekly - 11 March 2012

Beginning my study break for the sparkling wine exam next week, I started my leave on Thu after my trip to Manila. However, as I worried, I had to spend nearly two whole mornings on work, with different calls and important emails to respond to. The colleagues also joked that I would go back to office during my leave, and it was no exception this time...




This week I went to a Chiu Chow restaurant in Kowloon City called Chong Fat, in South Wall Road. Before going in I saw the seafood placed outside the restaurant, and those were really fresh and good. So it already gave me a good impression. Once we went in, the large variety of prepared food like panfried salty fish that greeted us told me I did not go to the wrong place.

The Pepper and Pig Stomach Soup was nice, with plenty of pepper and very good in the cold weather now. After drinking I felt warmth through my body and the pig stomach also was not rubbery.

For any Chiu Chow restaurant, the quality of their Marinated Goose will tell the difference. We had a goose slides and it was tender and not overly salty. A wonderful dish to go with cold beer...

The Bigeye fish is also delicious, as well as the Pig Blood Jelly with Green Chives. We had also ordered a Chiu Chow dessert which was quite interesting. Overall the cost was $345, quite reasonable and the most memorable thing for me actually was their services.

You may not expect anything special from a traditional restaurant like this one, but all the people had been diligent in providing tea, offering help, asking about the food and so on. I felt really happy eating even if the decor was not particularly impressive. A restaurant I recommend to anyone like Chiu Chow, and certainly if there are more people should go and try the seafood!

This week I made two dishes in my Sat cooking night. A Potato of Fish Soup and a Grilled Chicken with Black Pepper Sauce. The soup is really tasty and healthy. Try to do it at home!



My cellar continues to expand, with the following addition this week:
  • Harlan Estate 2000
  • Chateau L'Evangile 1996
  • Faiveley Corton Grand Cru Clos des Cortons Faiveley 2002
  • Vina Cobos Bramare Cabernet Sauvignon 2008
  • Familia Zuccardi Torrontes Tardio Reserva 2009
Since I am at home, basically have been drinking one bottle per day. The focus is on Bordeaux to prepare for my study which will begin after the sparkling wine exam. I have tasted three bottles:

Chateau Lamothe de Haux 2009
Good quality mid-priced Bordeaux white of lemon colour, showing a fairly intense nose of youthful and fruity aromas of honeysuckle, hawthorn, grass, apple, lime, grapefruit and peach. Fairly high in acidity, the wine is of medium body with a comparatively weak palate of lime, grapefruit, apple, almond and apricot. Finishing with a fairly short length, the wine exhibits typical Sauvignon Blanc and Semillon characters. With refreshing acidity and fruity style, it is enjoyable and good value for money. Ready to drink now and not intend for further ageing.

Ginestet Reserve 2005
Acceptable quality low-priced Bordeaux of ruby colour, with a fairly light and youthful nose showing black cherry, blackberry, liquorice, cedar and vanilla. Fairly high in acidity, accompany by a grippy and bitter tannin, the wine is of medium body, with fairly light flavors of blackcurrant, blackberry, liquorice, cedar and vanilla, accompanying by a fairly short length. It is a bit too acidity without the fruit to support. Ready to drink now and not intend for ageing.

La Closerie de Camensac 2007
Acceptable quality entry-level Bordeaux red, second wine to Chateau Camensac of Haut Medoc. Deep ruby in colour, with a reasonably intense nose of developing characters, showing blackberry, blackcurrant, liquorice, pencil shaving, smoke and vanilla. Medium in acidity, with a resolved and dusty tannin of medium level. Medium in body, with a fairly light flavors of blackberry, cream, liquorice and green bell pepper, showing quite a bit of unripe characters, with a fairly short length. Ready to drink now and not intend for further ageing.

Enough for today, need to continue my sparkling wine study now, and wish me luck in the exam!!

沒有留言:

張貼留言