2011年9月18日 星期日

Wineshark weekly - 18 Sep 2011

Last week I did not write this blog because of some shocking news, and I need some time to sort things out. Anyway I think things will turn out as it will be, so no need to overworry and better to continue my hobby and passions, right? So here we come again! Hope you enjoy reading it!

Recently been drinking a lot of fortified wine for my coming exam. Frankly I was not a big fan of such originally, but now with more tasting and understanding on the vinification and other details, I think this is one of the most under-rated type of wine in the world. Not necessarily just sweet, there are different styles and characters which are all interesting. Stay tuned to my blog as I will share with you more information about these, and I have posted the first two about Cyprus & Commandaria, and Madeira already.  

The restaurant I visited this Friday was Olala in Wanchai. Located in a small street up a steep slope near PP3, this French restaurant serve very good seafood, with also a good selection of wine. The prices are very reasonable also (but I forgot to ask them for the corkage if bringing my own wine). We have half a dozen oysters, which are very very fresh (highly recommend!!), mussels in white wine sauce (fresh mussels but nothing special), a duck leg confit (a nice intense aroma of duck fat you can smell before eating, but need more people to share as it is quite heavy), a grilled Iberico pork (the chef did not put any seasoning, and before you eat you can add a bit of sea salt which brings out the original flavor of the pork) , plus a creme brulee and apple tart for dessert. I ordered a glass of house white which is good match with the seafood. Overall it costs $1360 for two (I found out the wine was not included in the bill afterwards, hehe...). A restaurant I definitely will go again, and I heard from the waitress that the lunch menu is only $88-120 so if you are working close by, a good place to go for lunch!

The wine I tasted this week is Paul Jaboulet Aine Hermitage La Chapelle 2001, one of my top 100 collection. The nose is really exceptional, one of the best I have ever tasted though the palate is not as spectacular. For more details please refer to my blog about this famous producer in Rhone.

Cooking this week is Banana Pancake and Prawn Fritter with Tartare Sauce. Both are very nice (I have to be humble, I know, but I am really quite good at cooking, haha...). The recipe will be shared in my blog so please refer there. Here I will just show you the photos. Wanna try?

Need to pack for my trip tomorrow to Singapore and Bangkok. Until next week, remember my motto: enjoy life and live it to the full everyday!

沒有留言:

張貼留言