2011年7月2日 星期六

Wineshark weekly - 3 Jul 2011

Someone asked me why I am spending all my time and effort in writing this blog, given my busy schedule and works, bah bah bah... Well, for those of you who know me well you should understand my passion on wine, and for those that are even closer to me, should also be aware of my dedication when I want to do something... So here I am...

This week I have been staying in HK, getting prepared for my coming series of trips, which is kind of crazy, as I am (frankly that was my plan originally, but till now I haven't actually started on those with the other stuff keep piling up on top of each other...). As a result, been able to drink three bottles at home, haha, what an excuse!

First one I have is Chateau La Tour Figeac 2006, a Saint-Emilion GCC. Full details of this chateau will be covered separately in another post. An experience in tasting this wine that I would like to share, is the importance of breathing for wine. When I first opened it, I poured three glasses for my tasting, to compare the evolution of the wine, with zero, one and two hour of breathing. At the end, the wine was still in my opinion 'asleep' and didn't warrant much comment. I was quite disappointed about the wine and left half of the bottle for the next day, after pumping the air out.

Surprisingly, when I opened the bottle the next day to finish it off, the wine was much more open and intense. Even though it was still not something I would call intense (that has more to do with the style of the wine), the nose and palate clearly stood out and the wine is much more enjoyable. I can more appreciate the quality of the wine for its finesse and elegance, which can be reflected also in the changes of my tasting note.

Opaque ruby color St-Emilion GCC with a reasonably intense and developing aromas of black cherry, blueberry, liquorice, smoke, oak, cream and plum. Relatively low in acidity, with a smooth and ripe tannin, this medium (+) body wine got reasonably intense flavors of black cherry, blueberry, cloves, smoke, violet and oak. Overall of acceptable quality with reasonable length and fair intensity, soft and smooth in style, making it an easy-to-drink wine. With further ageing it can become more complex. Ready to drink now but ideally should be left to further age and will be good for another 5-7 years.

The next one I have is a Sauternes, Chateau Lamothe-Guignard 2005. I actually have tasted this wine of the same vintage twice already and given its price (HK$238 for a 750ml), a really good bargain! When I finished my tasting note and posted in cellartracker I check what I have written on the wine back in Apr when I tasted the half bottle of the same vintage. Same score given but not exactly the same comments regarding some characteristics. But still I think my tasting overall is consistent. The profile of this producer is again separately posted.

Light golden color Sauternes with a reasonably intense and developing aromas of acacia, lemon peel, apricot, honey, oak and nutty. Sweet yet balanced well with the acidity making the wine fresh and not cloying at all. Full body with a reasonably intense palate of honeysuckle, honey, lemon, pineapple, apricot, oak and nutty. Overall of good quality, with a fairly complex palate, reasonable length and intensity. Particularly considering its price (HK$238 for a 750ml) it is superbly good value. Ready to drink now but can further age to develop for another 7-10 years.

1 July is public holiday in HK, and I have spent most of the day buying things (haha!) Got a Piquardo bag for my own birthday present and also two bottles from Alejandro Fernandez Tinto Pesquera (1995 Pesquera and 1996 Condado de Haza). Looking forward to tasting them!! But I am already broke on the first day of the month...
Dinner was at Lee Fa Yuen at Pemberton (again!). With my mom along we ordered no BBQ but more traditional Korean dishes. I like the hot tofu soup most, and the stir fried kimchi pork is also nice. Portion is very big so need more people to go together to enjoy!

The second class of my Western cooking lesson include two dishes: 1) Potato and Sausage Salad, 2) Grilled Fish Steak with Pepperonata. Quite easy to make and delicious (as always!).




沒有留言:

張貼留言