2011年7月16日 星期六

Wineshark weekly - 17 July 2011

This week is relatively quiet on my wine tasting, since I was in Seoul for three days. But in this trip I had tried some good Korea dishes, and some interesting ones! Haha!

Our office in Seoul is located in Gangnam, a busy financial district. On one side we are facing a busy street similar to our Des Voeux Road Central. But at the back there are a lot of side streets with many small restaurants. Over lunch a lot of people crowded in these, and I tried a Ginseng Chicken soup on one day and a Walleye soup on another. Both are simply fantastic. Nothing expensive (in Korea standard) also, around KRW 13000 per person. Highly recommend!!

One night I went out with the Korean team to another famous Korean restaurant called 'Da Cheung Kam' (sorry for my Cantonese translation). Actually been there twice already by myself. But this time the team ordered a specialty dish in southwestern Korea, I don't know the name but they told me it is fermented stingray. Taste like ammonia... Not something I would fancy (in fact even for a lot of the locals the taste is simply too exotic), but given my adventurous spirit I had two pieces. Not too bad if I roll it with a piece of pork and some kimchi in a marinated mint leaf... Forgot to take a photo though.

On Friday I had dinner with my two wine buddies in Kowloon Cricket Club. The place is really nice and price is reasonable. I had a Smoked Salmon and Shrimp for appetitzer and a Lamb Shank for main. Delicious. We opened a bottle of Alsace Pinot Noir and a Barbaresco. Enjoy the meal and the chat very much...

This week in the cooking class I made three things: a Potato and Tuna Cake, Tomato Apple Salsa, and Grilled Chicken with Crabmeat Lobster Sauce. Quite easy to make and tasty. I am thinking probably in future I will write the recipe and take some photos when I do those at home to share with the readers.

Finally got some time to plan my wine tasting event in Aug. Decided to fix the date at 20/8 which is the only date I am available (haha, not pretending to be busy but really a crazy period for me from July onwards on traveling). Got two themes to choose from: Santenay + Chassagne-Montrachet or Germany. Will see how the team prefer and will share more later on. To celebrate my task completed (what an excuse!) I opened a bottle of Tinto Pesquera Crianza 1995.

Region / Country: Ribera del Duero Spain
Vintage: 1995
Grape: 100% Tempranillo
ABV: 13%            
Price: HK$695
Tasting Date: 16 July 2011
Official website: www.grupopesquera.com
Wineshark Score: 92

Intense garnet color with a brownish rim showing its age, this Ribera del Duero Tempranillo exhibits an intense and fully developed nose of earth, tobacco, savory, prune, wet leaves, rust and coffee characters. This full body wine has a medium acidity and tannin, supported by a well-integrated and smooth texture. Its medium intensity flavors of cocoa, strawberry, earth, tobacco, cigar box, savory and prune characters bring a complex and long finish. Overall a good quality wine with an impressive and intense nose showing good maturity aromas while on the palate still maintaining a good balance of fruit and acidity to make the wine vibrant despite its age. Ready to drink now to avoid the wine going into the decline stage.

On Saturday night we went to Yixin Restaurant at Wanchai. I gave this restaurant a 5-star rating, really need to come again!! I have the BBQ Pork, Shrimp with egg white in Chinese wine and a vegetable. The BBQ Pork is the best I have ever had! It is juicy, with a good balance of fat and lean meat, and roasted to the right level. Perfect! The other two dishes were also very good. Final bill: $600 for two, quite reasonable. I did not bring wine but next time with a bigger group should do that. Corkage is $100 per bottle.




沒有留言:

張貼留言