2019年6月11日 星期二

Wineshark HK Restaurant Review - Sabah Malaysian Cuisine 莎巴馬來西亞餐廳

This Malay restaurant is located in Wanchai Jaffe Road, with a fairly long history as I recalled visiting it since I was young. The interior setting was rather nondescript, but the neon signs outside certainly is something eye-catching. After a while the restaurant was fully occupied, including both local and foreigners, a clear sign of its popularity.

I ordered the Cendol ($38) to start as I have not enjoyed one for quite a long while. Good in taste, it was not too sweet, with the palm sugar syrup on the shaved ice matching greatly with the coconut milk, and the small green rice flour jelly giving a nice bite on texture. This brought back some of my fond memories, when my parents often brought me to Malay restaurants and I always ordered this drink.

As appetizers I had the Deep Fried Shrimp Cake ($70). More commonly seen in Thai restaurants, the shrimp cakes are deep fried beautifully, with a crispy outside and a bouncy texture inside, and apart from the nice shrimp paste there are some coriander added to add the flavors and a nice color. A nice dish.

The other appetizer was Malaysian Satay Chicken ($66). The half dozen satay is grilled nicely, fragrant with the charred meat smell, and the satay sauce is also very good, with an intense peanut butter and coconut milk note. The chicken meat is tender and moist, marinated nicely too. The cucumber and purple onion is a good complement to the meat and helps to reduce the fatty mouthfeel. Another nice one.

For the main dish we had the Fish Curry in Claypot ($168), paired with Chapati ($38). The curry is very good, appropriately spicy to give a kick on the palate without making it beyond most people's tolerance, and is a great pair with rice or bread. It was so good that we quickly finished the one portion of Chapati and had to order another serving, which are also freshly baked. I also enjoyed the vegetable in the curry, with the ladyfinger, tomato, onion and celery all good with the curry, and I would say even more tasty than the fish!

The service is decent, and the overall dining experience is fairly good, with a neighborhood no-frill sense, down-to-the-earth style. The bill was $460 and very reasonable as well. Unfortunately I noticed that the restaurant is going to close down by Oct 2019. I hope they could re-open at another location, and continue to offer the Malay cuisine to HK people.


沒有留言:

張貼留言