2011年8月20日 星期六

Wineshark weekly - 21 Aug 2011

This week I spent the whole week in HK, and it's been a busy though enjoying week. Last Sunday I went to Ma's Restaurant in Tong Mei Road for some Muslim food. It is a small restaurant, and unless you live nearby it is quite difficult that you will know. But like many such places they also have some signature dishes which are simply fantastic. And I highly recommend their mutton 'pancake'. The pancake was made fresh and the mutton really tender, so good I actually want to order another one! We also had a mutton soup, some cucumber, and a mutton with bamboo shoots. HK$220 for two, good value, definitely will go again!

On Friday night I went to Mongkok Fung Shing. The decor and environment brought back a lot of memories, as that same restaurant (the one in North Point) was where I had lunch with my mom very often, before going to school. Unfortunately since I only went with my wife, we could only order three dishes, prawn toast, minced quail wrapped in lettuce, and deep fried lotus root cake. The quail was mixed with bamboo shoots so the taste was a bit peculiar for my liking. In the North Point branch the they did not put that and I preferred their style. HK$380 for two, more expensive than I originally expected, but still a place to go to relive some old times. And I want to try the roasted young chicken also.  

Yesterday was very busy, making three dishes in the cooking class in the morning:  Chicken Minestrone, Curry Chicken Wings, and Mango Pudding. All very delicious. I am thinking of marinating the chicken wings using the same way for BBQ, should be very good! Unfortunately because need to take my dog to the doctor so cannot have more...

Highlight of the week definitely was the wine-tasting party in my friend' Grace's home. She is such a talented person it always amazed me how she can be so good at cooking and tasting. We all have a wonderful time, having some spectacular food pairing with the wines from Santenay and Chassagne-Montrachet. Also had some very fresh and tasty oysters (and special thanks David for opening them for all of us!). I am impressed by the Leroy Santenay 1999 and Henri Boillot Montrachet GC 2000. Those who are interested can visit my FB for the tasting notes of the wines. But below is the list:

1. Vincent Girardin, Santenay 1er Cru Les Gravieres 2007
2. Vincent Girardin, Santenay 1er Cru Clos de Tavannes 2006
3. Ramonet, Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Morgeot 2006
4. Maison Leroy, Santenay 1999
5. Vincent Girardin, Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Le Cailleret 2007
6. Henri Boillot, Montrachet Grand Cru 2000

We also had an Innikillin icewine to accompany the dessert. It was such a good night! Now need to do some exercise to lose some weight...

Until next week, take care and enjoy reading!

1 則留言:

  1. Fung Shing is one of my fav too. I've been to the North Point branch 4 times on various occasions. One time I even brought my own glasses and decanter there coz they charge absolutely nothing for corkage! We can definitely do the same some time soon ^_^

    回覆刪除