2011年6月25日 星期六

Wineshark weekly - 26 Jun 2011

I have decided to write a weekly blog to update some interesting things over the week and also the food and wine I have. Just drop me a note about how you feel after reading it! I also just wrote my 150th wine tasting note. Time really flies... 

Last Sunday was Father's Day, and like many of you I had a good dinner with my parents. To celebrate I also brought with me the oldest wine I ever owned - a 1976 Pommard! I got it from my recent trip to Minneapolis and my friend in Haskell highly recommended it. Condition was still very good and we all enjoyed it very much. The cork was broken but I just have to compliment my skill to successfully rescue it without getting the cork into the wine, haha!

Wine: Remoissenet Pere & Fils, Pommard Clos des Epenots (score: 93)
Region / Country: Pommard France
Vintage: 1976
Grape: 100% Pinot Noir
ABV: 13%            
Price: HK$1496
Tasting Date: 19 June 2011


Intense garnet colour showing the age of the wine, with a good and fully developed nose showing the characters of prune, earth, smoke, savory, cigar box and mushroom. Lively acidity accompanying a silky and supple tannin, the wine is of medium body with an intense flavors of prune, savory, coffee, earth, rust, smoke and cigar box. Overall a very good quality Pommard with profound maturity characters, really complex and intense flavors. A long length in the finish but the wine is still lively despite its old age. A very good demonstration of how good Burgundy can age. Ready to drink now and can be maintained for another 2-3 years at least.

During the week I was in Singapore for business. Also tried a very good Laksa at the hotel I stayed (Rendezvous at the end of Orchard Road), but unfortunately I forgot to take a picture. Try it next time!

Wherever I go I always will look for some wine shops and see whether I can find something interesting. So of course in this trip I did the same. But due to my limited time I can only go to Bacchus in Paragon this time. The shop is small and quite 'messy', with virtually no room for you to walk around. They got a fair amount of choices but do not provide something 'exceptional' nor 'rare'. Next time I will try to visit some another one called Wine Culture which I heard got a wider selection...

In Singapore many people will go to Chatterbox in Mandarin for the chicken rice. Well, I don't think they are exceptionally good but I still go there regularly. This time round I did the same, again nothing to surprise me. Though I tried a drink called 'Milo Dinosaur' which is basically a cold milo topped with a lot of milo powder. Quite nice! But don't breathe while eating the powder or you will choke!


Yesterday was first lesson of my new cooking class. We made two dishes: Chicken Chowder and Rack of Lamb with Walnut Pesto. Both are very good! Also went for a movie (X-Men First Class) and bought the jumbo pop-corn, cannot finish half of it...

Last night's dinner was at Lee Fa Yuen, the Korean restaurant. I went to the Sheung Wan Branch at The Pemberton. Did not get something special, just some BBQ and the hot tofu soup...


To wrap up the day I open a bottle of wine, Chateau Cantemerle 2004, which I will write separately on another post.

沒有留言:

張貼留言